Thursday, April 24, 2008

Maps: Geocoding and Geocaching

I went thru the steps to get the coordinates to Hooks Airport and look it up on Google Maps. The coordinates are N30°3.69432, W095°32.98992. While I could get a street view. I couldn't get it to go to satellite. Well it finally went to a wide view satellite, but would never go close up. It kept saying it didn't have images at this level of zoom. I also tried the library, after about 10 minutes, it came up with a satellite view and I could zoom in.

Now for the geocache...
I chose one near the library, in the Huffman Community Cemetery. The coordinates are
N 30° 00.300 W 095° 04.817
The url is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=69bb53a1-cd5d-4d99-9629-6c0468f7c273

This has turned into a very popular sport/hobby. It is a way to have fun outside, on your own or with a group of people. As with any outdoor/hiking sport, you need to take precautions about critters, heat, not going on private land without permission, etc. There are websites and books on the subject to help you be prepared.

No comments: