Monday, May 5, 2008

Games and Gaming: Games in the library?

I've read a number of things on blogs about games in the library. The Shifted Librarian has blogged about this a number of times and has given presentations on games in the library. A couple of recent posts are Does Gaming Promote Reading? and More on How Gaming Promotes Reading and Library Usage. One of her presentations was even in Second Life. ALA even has a blog for gaming in libraries, News about Games and Gaming.

I had heard about FreeRice from another blog, and when I have some time, I play. You get word meanings while you donate. It is very addictive once you get started.

WordSplay is fun, though I really wonder about some of the words they come up with. It is good for learning new words and to increase typing speed. I just don't get Sudoku. Even playing the children's mode, when I think I'm following the instructions, I still can't get it right. I do OK on the spelling and some of the other kids games. These are all instructional, plus you learn to use the mouse, keyboard, and to follow instructions. Some other games I like are Bookworm, Text Twist (kind of like WordSplay except you have to rearrange the letters to form words), Bejeweled and Zuma. You either have to be good at spelling and typing or mouse control. Plus some games are just fun.

No comments: