Monday, February 9, 2009

Books, Readers and Beyond: What to Read

I'm putting this at the top of this entry so that it might be seen. Everyone doesn't read to the bottom of an entry. My favorite website for series, further reading and other authors hasn't even been mentioned. The Fantastic Fiction website can be searched by author or title, or browsed. It lists all series by an author, the author's website, suggestion/recommendations by the author, other authors to read, forthcoming books. You can also browse by most popular, New books, Coming Soon, top authors, series, etc. It's a wonderful site.

The suggestions in the interview are what I already ask. Depending on their answer, I may refer them to a coworker who reads in their genre or author for other suggestions.

Looking at the suggested lists, I'm not over impressed with Library Booklists. The lists are too long and difficult to use. Some of the breakdowns are good, so it might be helpful if you have time to look for your subject. The children's fiction and the YA lists look good.

I tried a couple of authors I like and What Should I Read Next? came up with some good suggestions on one and not so good on the other. The Fiction_L Booklist didn't have one author in their list, but the suggestions for the other were good. To me, the Library Booklists makes you work too hard to get to a suggestion list. It might work better if you had a lot of time or possibly if you wanted to do some displays or bibliographies of your own. Surprisingly NoveList Plus only found 1 suggestion for one author, but did better on the other author. I'm choosing Iris Johansen's Firestorm as a suggestion.

The Morton Grove Public Library's Webrary Fiction_L Booklist has some fun genres, characters and settings. Trying to narrow it down to the correct list might be challenging, but fun.
I like the What Should I Read Next? site. Most of the suggestions seem to apply, but some are off the wall. Even those might provide an interesting new author.

Now I was working on the children's request. First looking for horse stories for the girl NoveList Plus did a good job. Two I found are Stealing Thunder and Paint the Wind. Morton Grove Public Library's Kids' Webrary has a very good Kids's Booklists by subject good bibliography and lots of lists for kids. I see one for the brother as well. Stealing Thunder was on that list also, along with Snow Pony. What Should I Read Next? doesn't work for this kind of RA, unless they already have a title. And trying one come up with mostly adult titles. Library Booklists found some bibliographies. There is a link to Deschutes Public Library - Saddle Up 'N Read which has stories on several levels, again including Stealing Thunder.


For the ghost stories, NoveList Plus has problems finding more than 2 books. I was doing an advanced seach with book, fiction, grade 7 or 8 and older kids seaching for ghost, ghosts with a subject or no subject. Now if I take the grade level out, it does find a lot of titles, but many are the wrong age, even leaving in older kids. Choosing teens did a little better. It found Breathe: A Ghost Story and Ghost in the Tokaido Inn, that are about boys and ghosts. The problem with some of the book lists, are they are not updated, so it's hard to find new titles. The Morton Grove Public Library's Teenreads has a search engine that is OK. It found A Gathering of Shades and Restless: A Ghost's Story.

Now for the Dean Koontz question.

NoveList Plus gives me Greg Bear, John Saul and Charles Grant.

Morton Grove didn't have a list for Koontz, but they do have a Horror Picks with some good suggestions; John Saul, Joe Lansdale, Stephen King.

What Should I Read Next? gave me Iris Johansen, Stephen White, Simon Green. To have something for later posts, I will list Firestorm by Johansen.

I went to Mid-Contenent Public Library for their Juvenile Series and Sequels page and looked up Alanna: the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce. It found the name of the series and other titles.

Song of the Lioness series.
1 Alanna: The First Adventure
2 In the Hand of the Goddess
3 Woman Who Rides Like a Man, The
4 Lioness Rampant

No comments: