Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Future of Media: Get Out Your Crystal Ball

Newspapers have been dying a slow death for years. Very few cities have more than one major daily paper. And even the papers that are left are struggling to make ends meet. Houston lost it's second daily paper in 1995 and the size of the Houston Chronicle has been shrinking. The internet is much faster with current news and you can read the news from around the world. Some newspapers are thinking about charging to access their content. With so much news that is available for free, I'm not sure how well that will work.

TV may also join the slow death. Several of the articles quoted seem to think it is headed that way. I know I have been to friends houses with cable tv and with all the channels still not been able to find anything to watch. While I don't think I could do without a tv, this article has a few points to make: Ten Reasons Why You Should Not Buy a Television Set.

I have seen several 3-D movies and when they don't try to surprise you by having something jump out at you, it's easy to forget you are watching a movie. Journey to the Center of the Earth had a couple of those moments, but it was fun anyway. Avatar was great and I don't remember any of those surprises, and I got completely caught up in the movie.

I think some version of 3-D is in our future, maybe even at some time, holography where you don't even need a screen. Right now it is a special effect in tv and movies, hopefully some time it will become real.

I hope theaters don't go away. Going to the movies may change, but hopefully not as much as this. You don't get the same experience watching a movie on a small screen (especially if you haven't sprung for a HDTV of any size) in your home with lights on and interruptions, that you get by watching a movie on a large screen in the dark with hopefully minor surrounding noise. True popcorn and sodas could be a lot cheaper, but then you don't have to buy them.

I have never been inclined to run out and buy the newest, greatest whatever. Usually, it's too expensive and the price will come down if I just wait a while. It may not last. It will be improved before I learn how to use it, or it's more than I will ever need.

Sadly, I miss Beta. The tapes were smaller than VHS and I liked the quality better, but like many things, I chose wrong and it went away. The tapes also let you record, which DVD does not. And, if you don't have cable or something that gives you a digital recorder you are kind of out of luck. I haven't tried to fight my digital converter to try to hook up my VHS, so I haven't done any recording of programs.

No comments: