Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Week 4 - Finding feeds

OK, I tried all of the ones listed. I was doing several very specialized searches.
Technorati needed me to be specific and even then it didn't find much. Syndic8 did well on one of the searches. Topix doesn't do hobbies or crafts or other things like that at all. It looks like its main point is news. It never found anything I was looking for. On Feedster, the tab for blogs made it easier to search and I found a couple of blogs on my subject. The one I found the easiest and most successful to use was Bloglines. For the most part, I was not impressed with any of the outside feed finders. I don't know if it was my subjects that were just not indexed by those sites or what.
Back when I first started blogs, I was reading The Shifted Librarian. The first aggregator she talked about was NewsIsFree. I got an account with them and used it for awhile. Then she talked about Bloglines and I went to them. I started out just searching them and found several library/librarian sites and subscribed to them. After that as I read blogs, they would mention other bloggers or have them listed on their sites.
I would also find the RSS logo on sites of interest and add them. Now, I basically just try to keep up with what I have. Sometimes a site quits posting and I'll drop them or someone mentions a site and I'll add it to try it out. If nothing else, I will try a search on a subject and blog and things will usually pop up. And most people list favorite blogs on their sites, so it makes it easy to add blogs that will probably be what you want and they have been screened for subject matter.
If you don't like a site, there is always delete.

No comments: