Thursday, February 7, 2008

NextGen - Sound of Music

Starting the next version of iHCPL.

I have already done some listening to music on the internet. I really like Pandora. You can have many stations with different kinds of music and the option to not like something.

I have not done any of the pay sites. On different blogs, people have really liked Rhapsody. You can listen online, download to an mp3 or burn to a disc for a reasonable price. And checking some of the obscure people I listen to, I found them listed. I just don't know if I would find enough to make it worth while to subscribe to. They do have 3 levels depending on what you want to do. Or you can just buy songs for a set price.

Yahoo Music appears to marketed to younger people, though they did have my artists listed. One nice extra was a 'Similar Artist' listing. A handy feature. Both seem to have similar payment options and both require a download of their software. Again, you can buy songs.

Napster also seems similar, but you can't get more info than is on their homepage without registering.

iTunes is proprietary and I pretty much don't care.

Amazon also looks good. It does let you use either WMP or iTunes to play. It also just has a flat price for songs, you don't have to pay a monthly subscription which is nice. And they have my artists. And another singer that it may be worth it to buy songs that I want without having to subscribe to anything. And they can be burned. Yeah!

The free site, music.download.com, has a more limited selection, which is not unexpected. They have one of the artisits I like, but just a few selections. It does list similar artists and it's FREE! and you can download. I went in and found a song I liked and downloaded it to our MP3 player. I already have a player and have downloaded music on to it in the past.

Most of the radio stations I listen to have online sites to listen to music, or to find out what has been playing. Still the main place I listen to the radio is in the car.

I am glad to find out about the password checker site. I am going to be changing passwords on some of my personal sites. I don't think I feel secure enough to put any of them on the web.

I had already starting using my gmail account for all the websites I signed up for because they don't have a size limit.

No comments: